In a 13-year time frame, more than 180 Ross County students pursing a degree in higher education have received funding to tackle their educational endeavors thanks to the Gates Foundation.
This year, the Gates Foundation will once again award 12 students scholarships from the Ross County Scholar’s Fund to help offset the cost of an undergraduate college education not covered by financial aid and/or scholarships. In total, the scholarship fund will eventually reach $10 million in financial assistance given to students.
Five new recipients were added to the list of outstanding scholars with seven previous scholarship beneficiaries receiving funding to continue their studies. This year, seven of the 12 recipients will attend college at Ohio University in Athens or at Ohio University Chillicothe.
The new recipients include:
- Darby Pillow - attending Ohio University
- Jeffrey Postage – attending Otterbein University
- Ann Shelby – attending Ohio University
- Michael Stauffer - attending Ohio University
- Sydney Tackett - attending Ohio University
Renewed recipients include:
- Justin Dye – attending Ohio University Chillicothe
- Casaundra Parker – attending The Ohio State University
- Courtney Parker - attending The Ohio State University
- Abbey Perry – attending Shawnee State University
- Izabella Timmons – attending the University of Findlay
- Katherine McMahon – attending Ohio University
- Jillian Pontius – attending Ohio University
Chillicothe native Larry Gates, and his wife, Mary, established the fund in 2004 to pave the way toward attaining a degree for area students in Ross County.
Mr. Gates is a retired executive with Philip Morris Companies and has been extremely active in the Chillicothe community and with Ohio University. He has served as a Chairman of the Regional Coordinating Council and served on the board of directors for the Ohio University Foundation in Athens. Additionally, he worked to develop the concept for the Entrepreneur Center and served as fundraising chairmen for the OUC Child Development Center.
More information on The Gates Foundation-Ross County Scholar's Fund is available online at www.ohio.edu/gatesscholarship