Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Rises During Extreme Winter Weather

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning of a higher potential for carbon monoxide poisoning during extreme winter weather.

With high winds and ice - like what we've experienced over the last couple of days - increasing the possibility for power outages, some homeowners may turn to gasoline or diesel generators in order to use heaters and other appliances.

Commission officials say generators should never be used indoors and should be placed at least 20 feet away from homes, with the exhaust faced away from the structure.

They also warn against burning charcoal indoors. And, space heaters should be at least three feet away from anything combustible and powered directly from an adequate wall outlet.

Carbon monoxide detector

Photo: Getty Images

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content